Cloud Request - AWS Accounts

Service Description

Our cloud requests may look small, but they pack a punch. This is our new section to request access, transfer, or build new AWS accounts for research students or staff. There is also an opportunity to put in general questions for support.


Research Students, Faculty, Staff


During your collegiate years at Colorado School of Mines, you may be a part of some research teams that will need a space in AWS. We have a very robust environment for providing your needs within AWS. This will be in either a new research AWS account, one you may be bringing to Mines, or may just need access to. Whatever the case may be, we are here to help guide you through this process.

Request a New AWS Research Account (Researcher/Staff) – AWS accounts are available for researchers and staff who have a need to stand up infrastructure in AWS’s cloud platform. This service will help guide you through the necessary requirements when you need to request an AWS account for your needs.

Request Access to Current AWS Environment (Researchers/Staff) – If you need access to an already existing AWS account, this is the request for you. Just provide the AWS Account name or the account number from the owner of the AWS account and we will provide access. It requires an approval from the owner of the AWS account.

Request Guest Access for AWS Environment (Non-Mines User) – At times, there will be a need to collaborate with other universities. If that is needed, this request will help facilitate that access into the environment. During this process, there is a need to complete the form at the address on the request page. Please ensure this form is filled out properly and submitted to avoid any delays.

Transfer Account Between Institutions (Researchers) – If you are needing to transfer an AWS account between universities, then this form will help guide you. Depending on what steps have already been taken, this process could take a bit longer than the other requests above. With that, we will help guide you in transferring an AWS account from place to place. With this process, has the potential to have paperwork and cleanup of the environment. During this cleanup, we ask that all IAM only users be disabled and re-created with a “Request Guest Access for AWS Environment above.

General AWS Support (Researchers/Staff) – If you have a general question about your AWS account, we can try to answer it here. At times, we may ask for you to reach out directly to AWS.

Requesting the Service

Submit a service request using the button located on this page within Mines Help Center.

Support can also be requested by visiting the Mines Service Center (MSC) or calling x2345 or 303-384-2345 during MSC staffed times. In this case, a Student Consultant will take your information.


Self-service information can be found starting at the ITS homepage

Alumni Email Information can be found here:

Request Service

Related Articles (1)

This article will help you navigate accessing Amazon AWS SSO access to AWS accounts using your Mines credential. This guide will also help go through how to access your Access Key ID and Secret Access Key for CLI access.


Service ID: 51556
Mon 7/11/22 12:01 PM
Tue 8/16/22 2:39 PM